Want to fix your BMW?
Below you can find a few popular BMW forum sites that I’ve personally used over the years. They contain information for just about anything that you may need answering with few exceptions. If any other sources come to mind about BMW DIY, please share in the comments below!
In no particular order, here they are:
- Bimmerfest.com (E39 Specific Forum)
- Bimmerforum.com (E39 Specific Forum)
- RealOEM.com (OEM parts diagrams) (DIY Starting point! – You need to know what can break in your area of interest so you can research it on the forums)
- BMWCoding.com (More advanced stuff 🙂 )
- BMWCoders.com (More fun stuff)
How do I search for my problem?
If you truly want to diagnose and fix a problem yourself, start with the first two sites (Bimmerfest and Bimmerforum) and do a search for your issue.
Make sure to browse to the appropriate forum for your car and use the forum search tool. It is located in the bottom right of the screen image below.
Make sure to select “sort by relevance” before you begin your search!
And if you can’t find what you’re looking for after multiple attempts, register, ask and explain your situation and someone will help you. Try to find out if an existing solution exists before posting however. You’ve been warned 😉
How do I know what part I need?
Using RealOEM.com, pull up the information for your model, year and region. This is the same parts catalogue available at your local BMW dealership.